Glass House Report
In July, the City Council accepted the recommendation of the historical consultant, Circa: Historic Property Development, to develop the David Glass House (located on San Ramon Valley Blvd between Pine Valley Road and Alcosta) as a representative site with the period of significance, 1877 - 1931. According to the consultant "This would allow for interpretation of the agricultural history of the San Ramon Valley, contribution of women, and Victorian lifestyle while focusing on the Glass family." The complete report can be downloaded here:
Download Glass House Report from Circa (PDF Format)
So who were the Glass family?
"Originally from the East, David and Eliza Glass arrived in California in the summer of 1850. They opened a small trading post near Alamo a few years later, serving the surrounding community's high demand of goods on the old mission road - the sole route connecting the mining district and the commercial center at Mission San Jose….The first Glass family house on the property was about 50 feet west of the existing two-story house (at its original location) and partially burned around the time of the construction of the larger house in 1877….The Glasses resided in the house until their deaths - David passed away in 1897; Eliza, two years later - leaving the Glass Farm and house to their two (unmarried) daughters, Annette and Loretta. The women managed the property and also resided here until their deaths 1922 and 1931 respectively. In 1932 Pierre and Gracieuse Ellisondo purchased 110 acres from the Glass Family estate." Glass House Report, page 4
As you will see as you pass the Glass House on San Ramon Valley Blvd., the exterior rehabilitation of the house has been completed. In the near future, contractors will be hired by the City to design plans for the landscaping, interior rehabilitation of the house (wallpaper, finishes, utilities, etc) and a furnishings plan (furniture and accessories). These projects will be overseen by the Historic Consultant to insure American Association of Museums standards are being followed and in cooperation with the San Ramon Valley Rotary.
Funding for these projects is available through the City's Park Development Fund along with State Park Bond funding. It is hoped that within the next two years, the Glass House will open to the public as the City's first historic house museum.