Under supervision of a Senior or Associate Engineer, performs professional field and office civil and/or transportation engineering work related to the planning, design, construction and maintenance of capital improvement projects and/or traffic safety and operations and daily departmental operations, including the preparation of basic designs, specifications, plans, estimates and reports for the development and modification of City infrastructure; provides assistance in the development of consultant requests for proposals for professional and/or construction services; manages less complex engineering projects; and performs related work as required.
This is the first level of the professional engineering classification series with responsibilities spanning the full range of the City’s engineering function. Incumbents manage routine engineering projects under supervision where project plans and technical specifications are reviewed by a Senior Engineer. Incumbents may be assigned to either the Engineering Services or Transportation Services Departments where they are expected to develop advanced skills and the ability to work with greater independence. This class of Assistant Engineer is distinguished from Associate Engineer in that the latter may require registration as a professional engineer and is assigned more advanced project management, design and plan review responsibilities.
Examples of Key Duties: (Duties are illustrative and not inclusive and may vary with individual assignment.)
- Serves as plan check engineer or project manager on routine projects, including defining project scope, selecting consultants, negotiating contracts, change orders and amendments; prepares and monitors project schedules; monitors, reviews and coordinates project design and construction; evaluates contractor’s requests for extra work; monitors contractor’s work and enforces terms of the contract; processes payments and change orders; coordinates projects with businesses, utilities and other city departments.
- Prepares routine plans, designs, specifications, estimates and reports, including determining materials and availability of funding; provides special study engineering reports and drafts engineering staff reports for the City Council.
- Reviews private development plans submitted by developers, land owners and engineers for adequacy of application and conformance to City standards, plans and specifications.
- Provides technical advice to contractors, other professionals and the general public regarding policies, codes and regulations; assists in resolving problems.
- Performs technical review of plans ensuring plans are in compliance with codes and regulations; processes a variety of encroachment permit applications.
- Participates in and conducts the development of consultant requests for proposal for professional and/or construction services and the advertising of bid processes; evaluates bids and proposals and makes recommendations on project award.
- Conducts engineering and related studies; prepares staff reports and grant applications.
- Reviews and monitors Geographic Information Systems (GIS) consultant services to the City for base map updates and production and maintenance of GIS mapping activities.
- May act as the City’s representative at meetings and promote the City’s interests and objectives.
- Maintains accurate records and files.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university with major coursework in an engineering curriculum or a field related to the area of assignment and two years of professional engineering experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed above.
At the option of the appointing authority or the City, persons hired into this class may be required to either possess at entry or obtain within specified time limits designated licenses, professional registration, certification or specialized education and training relevant to the area of assignment. Must possess and maintain a valid California class C driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, and to attend meetings at various sites within the City and away from the City and to inspect various work, building or construction sites; strength to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 25 pounds, vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone and/or radio.
Knowledge of: (at entry)
- Basic engineering theories and principles;
- Basic principles of project management;
- Basic principles of capital improvement cost estimation and contract administration;
- Computer applications related to the work including basic GIS and AutoCad concepts and applications;
- Practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting effective staff reports; and
- Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds, in person and over the telephone.
Skill in: (at entry)
- Preparing engineering designs and plans;
- Preparing, negotiating and managing contracts and projects and monitoring the work of contractors and consultants;
- Reading blueprints, plans and technical specifications;
- Writing technical reports and preparing cost estimates;
- Interpreting, applying and explaining codes, regulations and ordinances;
- Effectively representing the department and the City in meetings with other public agencies, community groups, and various business and professional and regulatory organizations and in meetings with individuals; and
- Communicating effectively with officials, co-workers, contractors, consultants, representatives of organizations and others sufficient to convey information, both directly and over the telephone.