$3,112 - $3,890 per month
Under close supervision, assists in the performance of a variety of entry-level and unskilled maintenance and repair duties in assigned maintenance operations, which may include parks, landscape and lighting, facilities, service center, traffic signals and street/drainage; and performs related work as required.
This is the first level in the field maintenance class series in the City’s Public Services Department. Incumbents work under the immediate direction of an employee in a higher-level field maintenance class performing routine activities such as gathering equipment and supplies, general laboring work and cleaning up work sites and equipment.
Examples of Key Duties: (Duties are illustrative and not inclusive and may vary with individual assignments.)
- Performs preparatory work for maintenance activities, including gathering equipment, materials and supplies, loading and unloading materials, and laying out materials and equipment for projects.
- Performs a variety of routine physical labor tasks, depending upon area of assignment, including posting general notices, pulling weeds, picking up litter, raking leaves and debris, planting, painting curbs, replacing light bulbs, emptying trash bins and performing minor custodial work.
- Performs cleanup at the end of the day or when the job is completed, including picking up tools, spills, and debris, cleaning work areas and performing touch-up work as needed.
- Sets up facilities for meetings and events; opens and provides information regarding facilities for users.
- May operate a vehicle for pickup and delivery duties.
- May perform office assistance duties such as answering telephones, receiving deliveries and stocking supplies.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Education and Experience:
Completion of coursework equivalent to the eighth grade; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as noted above.
- Work permit is required under the age of 18 years.
- Must possess and maintain a valid California class C driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record.
- Must be 18 years of age for positions requiring driving a vehicle.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
Must possess strength, stamina and mobility to perform heavy physical work out of doors in all weather conditions and with exposure to potentially hazardous conditions, use basic hand and power tools and equipment, drive a motor vehicle and/or light maintenance equipment, lift and move materials and equipment weighing up to 90 pounds and heavier weights with the use of proper equipment; vision to read written materials and a computer screen and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone and/or radio. Must be willing to work out of doors in all weather conditions and with exposure to traffic and potentially hazardous conditions. Must be available for regularly scheduled off-hours work and emergency overtime.
Knowledge of: (at entry)
- Basic preventive maintenance techniques;
- Safe working practices and procedures; and
- Safe driving rules and practices.
Skill in: (at entry)
- Using hand and power tools;
- Understanding and following written and oral instructions;
- Working independently or in a team situation; and
- Communication and interpersonal relationships to interact effectively with co-workers, supervisors and the general public sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.