CITY OF SAN RAMON
POLICE SERVICES TECHNICIAN
Temporary / Part-time / No Benefits (20 hours per week)
Compensation: $20.00 per hour
Under supervision of a sworn Sergeant or non-sworn Administrative Coordinator, performs a variety of responsible non-sworn office, technical and field duties in support of law enforcement and the mission of the Police Department. Duties include: assisting the public at the front counter and in the field, data collection and report writing, accident and incident control and investigation, evidence collection, parking enforcement, crime prevention, towing and storing vehicles, taking cold misdemeanor reports, performing school and court liaison and patrolling the parks of San Ramon, and performing related work as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares and reviews detailed police reports documenting criminal and non-criminal activities; documents accident and crime scene layouts in written and graphic form; takes cold misdemeanor reports from the public;
- Provides initial non-emergency contact with the public and representatives of other agencies for the department at a public counter or over the telephone; determines the nature of the contact; provides factual information regarding services, policies and procedures, or directs the caller to the proper individual or agency;
- Provides applications for various permits and licenses to the public. Explains policies and procedures and processes completed forms;
- Following specific legal guidelines, prepares and distributes copies of police and other reports to individuals and agencies requesting such reports; explains requirements and limitations and collects, receipts and balances fees for services;
- Maintains logs of services; prepares a variety of periodic and special reports regarding calls for service and other departmental activities; submits required reports to the Department of Justice and other agencies as mandated;
- Word processing and data entry into multiple law enforcement computer systems; proofreads work for accuracy and completeness;
- Assists officers at crime and accident scenes by directing traffic and laying out cone and flare patterns, taking witness statements and collecting identity information; diagrams crime and accident scenes using forensic mapping equipment;
- Photographs crime and accident scenes using digital and video camera equipment; provides documentation and logs photographs into evidence;
- Identifies and collects evidence at crime scenes using proper and safe techniques with chemical, mechanical and alternate light source; collects and preserves biological evidence; documents evidence in report form and places with evidence in storage.
- Performs security checks of City Parks and schools; conducts site surveillance as assigned;
- Issues parking citations within the City; tows and arranges for storage of impounded vehicles; testifies in criminal, civil and traffic court as required;
- Provides instruction to new Police Services Technicians and San Ramon Police Department volunteers;
- Performs fingerprinting services on Livescan and inked fingerprint cards; maintains Police Department computer system;
- Develops radar advisory trailer deployment schedule and deploys and retrieves radar advisory trailers;
- Purchases and maintains an inventory of Police Department equipment and supplies;
- Performs child seat checks and instruction on proper installation techniques; and
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Basic functions, terminology, principles and practices of law enforcement agencies;
- Standard office practices and procedures, including filing, and the operation of standard office equipment, including computer systems;
- Techniques for dealing with the solving of problems presented by a variety of individuals in person and over the telephone;
- Applicable laws, ordinances, regulations, statutes and policies;
- Performing technical, detailed and responsible law enforcement support work;
- Preparing accurate, clear and concise police reports in areas of assignment;
- Interpreting, applying and explaining policies, laws and regulations;
- Maintaining accurate records and files;
- Communicating effectively with co-workers, subordinates, superiors, the general public, representatives of public and private organizations and others sufficient to exchange or convey information;
- Making sound independent decisions within established procedural guidelines;
- Organizing own work, setting priorities and meeting critical deadlines; and
- Providing documentation, reports and data to management.
- High School Diploma or general equivalency diploma (G.E.D.); and
- Must possess and maintain a valid California Class C Driver's License and a satisfactory driving record.
Benefits are not available for this position beyond what is required by law.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
A City application and resume are required. Applications may be downloaded from the City’s website at http://www.sanramon.ca.gov/employ/opportunities.html. To have an application packet mailed to you, please call the 24-Hour Job Hotline at (925) 973-2505 or write to email@example.com.
Send your completed application and resume to:
City of San Ramon
2226 Camino Ramon
San Ramon, CA 94583
Applicants are responsible for their own travel expenses. Completed application and resume must be received by Employee Services no later than 5:00 P.M. on Friday, February 7, 2014. Postmarks will not be accepted.
The City of San Ramon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, or disability. In accordance with Federal law, the City of San Ramon will only hire individuals who are legally authorized to work in the United States. As a condition of employment you will be required to present proof of your identity and employment eligibility. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, should special accommodations be necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact Employee Services at (925) 973-2523.
Information contained herein is subject to change without notice.