Home City Council Departments Services Calendar Contact Us Search
Encroachment on Right of Way
San Ramon Logo Permits title line

encroachment permits

An encroachment permit is required for any work to be performed in the public right of way.  Examples of work requiring an encroachment permit would include (but are not limited to) trenching in the street for a new utility or repair and/or replacement, replacement of sidewalk, installation of a drain through the curb, and construction or widening of a driveway approach, and dumpsters and/or portable outdoor storage units.  On most streets, the public right of way extends approximately 10 feet from the face of curb but vary throughout the City.

Click to download Encroachment Permit form (pdf)

For more information on any of these permits and which permits are applicable to any new construction project, please contact the Engineering Services Department at (925) 973-2670, or please utilize the City’s Permit Center to coordinate new project activities with Engineering, Planning, Building, and the San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District at one location.

Key Personnel:

Eric Ramos, Engineering Specialist eramos@sanramon.ca.gov (925) 973-2698
Theresa Peterson, Associate Engineer tpeterson@sanramon.ca.gov (925) 973-2685
Rick Hanson, Construction Supervisor rhanson@sanramon.ca.gov (925) 973-2694
Debbie Hince, Office Specialist


(925) 973-2670


We provide efficient delivery of quality public services that are essential to those who live and work in San Ramon.
2401 Crow Canyon Rd, San Ramon, CA 94583 | Map | Phone (925) 973-2670 | Fax (925) 838-3937