As the incoming storms take shape, the City of San Ramon is prepared to respond. Sandbag supplies have been made available for public use. San Ramon residents or businesses that require sand or sandbags must bring a shovel and helping hands to one of four locations for supplies (bags and sand provided):
- Sunny Glen Senior Living, located at 9000 Craydon Circle
- San Ramon Sports Park, located on Sherwood Way
- San Ramon Central Park, located on Alcosta Blvd adjacent to the San Ramon Community Center
- Athan Downs, located on Montevideo Drive near San Ramon Valley Blvd
Public Works staff has been preparing for the storm season for several months now, and have completed and continued to monitor all of the following tasks to minimize storm-related issues:
- Maintain and restock public sandbag station supplies at 4 sites, as needed, as well as fill sandbags for use by staff during storm response
- Oversight of the catch basin cleaning contract: all catch basins have been cleaned and cleared of debris as of the end of December 2016
- Restock salt pellets at Service Center for icy road conditions to melt black ice
- Check hot spot areas citywide to minimize obstructions that block creek banks and creek underpasses/culverts
- Check creeks and water quality control pond water levels; check for new obstructions, erosion, and clogs
- Check and if needed removed debris from trash racks
- Continue to clean tops of catch basin grates as last remaining leaves continue to cover storm drain grates, which can cause surface road flooding if not cleaned
- Check inlet entries at concrete v-ditches
- Patch newly developed potholes from recent storms on: Crow Canyon Road, Dougherty Road, and Kimball Ave
- Prepare emergency callout van; restock with supplies
- Conduct emergency response training with staff
- Prepare drainage equipment and supplies, i.e. chainsaws, trash pumps, generators etc.
- Fuel trucks
- Add additional callout staff to be on emergency standby over the weekend in the event additional staff is needed
What you can do...
To report clogged storm drains, downed trees, or flooding challenges, please call (925) 973-2800 during business hours Monday to Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm or the San Ramon Valley 911 Communication Center at (925) 973-2779 afterhours, and they will contact the appropriate Public Works staff for response.
Winter weather in and around the San Ramon Valley brings rain, sleet and ice. Prepare your vehicle and home for the wet and windy conditions to reduce risks and provide you peace of mind.
- If traveling to the mountains remember emergency items including chains, small snow shovel, ice scraper, food and water.
- Before traveling check 5-1-1 for road conditions at www.511.org
- Monitor the National Weather Service for weather at www.nws.noaa.gov
- For flood preparations review http://www.sanramon.ca.gov/flood
- Listen to the following emergency broadcast stations for regular updates on storm conditions:
- AM 680 KNBR
- AM 740 / FM 106.9 KCBS
- AM 810 KGO
- AM 1610 WNUW City of San Ramon radio
- FM 92.1 KKDV
- FM 101.7 KKIQ