PROCEDURE TO OBTAIN MASSAGE SERVICE PERMIT:
- An applicant for a “Massage Operator’s Permit” (establishment) and/or “Outcall Massage Service Permit” must FIRST check with the Planning Division for zoning conformance and/or clearance.
- Applicant must then check for requirements from the Building Department.
Schedule an appointment with the Police Department to be fingerprinted.
- If there are no tenant improvements which require a Building Permit, an Occupancy Analysis may be required.
Submit completed Massage Operator’s Permit/Outcall Massage Service Application and Massage Personal Information Sheet to Police Department. Include copies of training certificates, proof of malpractice insurance, and proof of membership in a certified massage association. The application fee and DOJ processing fee will be due at this time.
Upon receipt of a satisfactorily completed application and required fee, you will be contacted once you have successfully passed a criminal history background check. No City or Police permits will be issued until a criminal history clearance is received.
You will receive a Criminal History Clearance Letter from the Police Department to submit to the City’s Planning Division and Finance Department.
Applicants for a “Massage Operator’s Permit” (establishment) will be referred to:
- Fire Inspector (838-6600) *for an existing building, not a new structure; and
- Environmental Health Department, currently Mr. Winston Dea (692-2532) for
inspection of the proposed premises to determine that there is full compliance
with the regulations.
The applicant will be required to obtain a Building Inspection if there has been a change in occupancy use or construction/remodeling of the facility. The applicant is responsible for requesting inspections and obtaining these approvals. The Police Department will provide a facility inspection for Municipal Code compliance.
- Take all approved and signed documents to the Police Department. Once you pay the Massage Permit fee and have a photo taken for the identification badge, you will receive your Massage Services Permit.
- Take all approved and signed documents to the Planning Division to obtain a City Business License.
- An applicant who is employed by a licensed/permitted establishment will need police clearance only to obtain a “Massage Therapist Permit”. No further City permits or inspections are necessary.