Home City Council Departments Services Calendar Contact Us Search
San Ramon Valley Blvd and Bollinger Canyon Rd
Public Services Department

 

San Ramon LogoTransportation Advisory Committee

 

MINUTES
SAN RAMON TRANSPORTATION ADVISORY COMMITTEE

 July 15, 2010

San Ramon Community Center, Terrace Room
12501 Alcosta Boulevard, San Ramon

1.         CALL TO ORDER

Committee Members Attending:  Harvey Riggs, Peter Rathmann, Victoria Harris, Jim McVay and Steve Filson

Committee Members Absent:   Ken Dawdy
                   

Council Members Attending:    None

Planning Commission Liaison:   None

Teen Council Liaison:  None

Guests Attending:   Precioso Gabrillo III, Sheri Glaser, Scott Twomey, Yayank Patel, Rajest Agarash, Leslie Quadros, Julie Blinston, Craig Blinston, Kathy Weber                                                                

Staff Members Attending:   Lisa Bobadilla, PJ Dhoot, Leslie Chase, Moustefa Kendroud, Officer Springer

The meeting was called to order by Chair Jim McVay at 6:35 pm.   

2.         REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES

M/S/C/U (Riggs/Harris) to approve the meeting minutes of the April 15, 2010 as written (5-0).

M/S/C/U (Riggs/Harris) to approve the meeting minutes of the June 17, 2010 excluding  Peter Rathmann as he was not in attendance.  (4-0).

3.          PUBLIC COMMENT

None.

4.          UNFINISHED BUSINESS

4.1       Safe Routes to School – Hidden Hills Crosswalk Update

PJ Dhoot presented a Power Point presentation on the proposed removal of the  Crosswalk at Harcourt Way @ Craiglee Way in the vicinity of Hidden Hills  Elementary School   

PJ reported that based on the 2008-2009 Safe Routes to School Program the recommendation was to remove the crosswalk at the intersection of Harcourt Way and Craiglee Way.  She also discussed the following Alternate Recommendations that were considered by staff:

Installation of an All-Way Stop Sign at the intersection of Harcourt Way and Craiglee Way

  • Installation of a Crossing Guard
  • Installation of In-Roadway Flashing Lights
  • Deploy a Police Officer at this intersection
  • Install “Keep Clear” pavement marking in advance of the crosswalk
  • Relocate the crosswalk to the opposite side of the roadway

PJ indicated that staff from the  San Ramon Valley School District support the removal of the crosswalk (over the summer) and to establish new walking patterns with start of the upcoming school year and utilize  the two existing crosswalks

  • The crosswalk at Harcourt Way and Bandol Way has an adult crossing guard to assist students
  • The crosswalk at Harcourt Way and Windemere Parkway has a pedestrian signal head and traffic signal

PJ discussed the “Next Steps” as follows:

  • Crosswalk removal signage placed at intersection of Harcourt/Craiglee on July 9, 2010 for 30-day notification period
  • Remove the crosswalk during the week of August 9, 2010, prior to school beginning on August 23, 2010
  • Provide educational materials to students and parents of Hidden Hills Elementary
  • Evaluate the effectiveness of removing the crosswalk and include in upcoming Safe Routes to School Report

Chair McVay opened the Public Comment to residents:

1.         Kathy Weber, S. Donavan Way, her concern about the crosswalk removal is safety factor during non-school times since kids are present during these times.  The crosswalk in the neighborhood goes directly over to the ball field and to the playground area and children use the crosswalk with or without parents.  Ms. Weber also stated that the “removal” signage is incorrect that it is being removed on July 9th.  She also indicated that kids should not use Windemere Parkway by themselves to cross the street unattended after school hours. 

2.         Precioso Gabrillo, N. Donavan Way, expressed concern about the removal of the crosswalk .   The absence of crosswalk encourages jaywalking which is a potential for accidents.   Mr. Gabrillo suggested installation of stop signs within the crosswalk which reinforces the right of way for pedestrians and the motorists.  He also wants to advocate participation from parents and advanced-grade school children to police the crosswalk which had been done in other cities.  Finally, he suggested that  instead of removing the crosswalk, enforce existing laws and add visual markers to increase the safety of pedestrians and school children. 

3.         Scott Twomey, Craiglee Way, commented that the Craiglee Way is the only street that is used for ingress and egress for the entire neighborhood of about 100 plus homes.  The police officer should enforce to stop the problem. Mr. Twomey asked the staff/TAC to consider stop signs in the middle of the road or other solutions.  He added that if the crosswalk is removed, the cars don’t need to stop and there will be more traffic problems. He doesn’t want to see the children hurt and is concerned about the safety of the children.

4.         Leslie Quadros, Craiglee Way, needs to know what’s in the works before this item goes to the City Council.  He submitted a petition to the Chair and concurred with the concerns that were articulated by his neighbors.  He said that people are breaking the law by blocking the crosswalk which potentially could run over the kids.  People are still going to cross anyway and take chance which is a dangerous situation.  He raised the point that neighborhood was not notified about the decision to remove the crosswalk.

5.         Julie Blinston, N. Donovan Way,  she has observed parents are not paying attention when driving, making illegal turns, etc.  She mentioned a student program where students help cross people and perhaps Hidden Hills kids could develop such a program.   Ms. Blinston also noted that removing the crosswalk is not the right thing to do.  She uses the crosswalk even though it’s not for school.

Chair McVay closed the public comment.

Harvey Riggs commented that this proposal needs more study and other alternatives should be considered.   Harvey proposed that this item be brought back to the TAC with more recommendation for TAC’s review. 

Steve Filson concurred that the information is not specific enough and more study on the type of alternate mitigation is necessary.  He said that signage that is clear and specific and he likes the idea of a short-term enforcement.  

Peter Rathmann agreed with Harvey’s comment as well.  He also agreed about the comment made that residents will still cross the street without a crosswalk.    He urged that a different sign alternative be considered and suggested increased police enforcement. 

Victoria Harris asked a procedural question that since the SRTS program was approved in 2009 can the program has be reevaluated for changes.    

Lisa Bobadilla responded that the TAC comments are  included and considered as part of the SRTS that will be presented on August 24, 2010. 

Lisa Bobadilla thanked the public for their comments at tonight’s meeting but added that there are a significant number of parents at Hidden Hills living outside the Wyngate community who favor the removal of the crosswalk at Craiglee/Harcourt.  and have  contacted the City/Staff to remove the crosswalk.   

Staff will review   other mitigation measures and continue  discussions educating the community and provide resources to school.

Harvey Riggs commented that children should not be playing on the street.

M/S/C/U (Riggs/Filson) to accept staff recommendation to remove the crosswalk with the caveat that staff

PJ Dhoot stated that crosswalks can  present a false sense of security due to the pedestrians’ assumption that  vehicles will always come to a stop at a crosswalk.  She added that there are no school sites in San Ramon similar to Hidden Hills with  4 crosswalks in front of a school site; stressing the need to channelize pedestrian flow while enhancing the visibility at the few, select crosswalks.  She also talked about the educational campaign implemented at school sites  including the Street Smarts program. 

PJ commented on the amount of time to use the other two crosswalks is 63 seconds in one direction, and 110 seconds from the other direction . 

Residents asked that they be notified with any decisions are made about the crosswalk and would like to be involved in the decision making process.  They are concerned that while they are able to present their arguments those things will nevertheless move forward. 

4.2 Radar Speed Display Construction Update

PJ Dhoot reported that the Radar Speed Display Sign (RSDS)  locations have been identified and the signs have been ordered.  Traffic Engineering will review the traffic control plans for the two locations that are on arterial roadways.

Peter Rathmann asked what type of before and after study staff is proposing.   PJ responded that there Will be a direct comparison of speeds for the pre-installation vs. post-installation

Victoria Harris asked about the process of identifying radar speed sign locations.  PJ responded that signs are not installed on local residential streets because  the RTC Toolkit offers several mitigation measures specific to local residential streets, such as speed humps.

RSDS are installed on  arterial and collector streets thereby providing a traffic calming measure for collector and arterial roadways.   

4.3 Contra Costa Transportation Authority/Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC) Annual Report

An update on this item will be deferred at the next TAC meeting since Harvey was not available to provide an update.   

4.4       Active Residential Traffic Calming Streets Status Report

PJ Dhoot reported on Canyon Lake Drive with regards to the speeding concern.  Staff requested police enforcement and deployment of the radar trailer.  Cheyenne Avenue also had speeding concerns, and so staff also requested selective enforcement and provide radar trailer results. 

5.         UNFINISHED BUSINESS

5.1       Pavement Management Program Report

Moustefa Kendroud provided a detailed presentation on the City of San Ramon Pavement Management Program.   The presentation outline included:

  • Asphalt Pavement and PCI
  • City’s Roadway Network
  • Pavement Deterioration
  • Pavement Maintenance
  • Projected Budget and Funding Scenarios
  • Pavement Management System Process
  • Open Discussion

Mr. Kendroud reported that as part of the survey conducted by Pavement Engineering Inc. an updated Pavement Condition Index (PCI) is assigned to each pavement section.  A rating ranging from 0 to 100 with a newly paved or repaired roadway section rated 100.  The overall average PCI was at 75 in 2009 with work completed in early 2010.  With the scheduled pavement rehabilitation work in 2010, the City’s overall PCI is anticipated to be 76.

Mr. Kendroud discussion on Pavement Maintenance included the Annual Pavement Management (PMP), Stop Gap Repair, and Pot Hole Repair.  He also articulated on the two components of the Projected Budget and Funding Scenarios.  Primary Sources of PMP Funding includes Gas Tax, Measure J – Return to Source, and Proposition 42.  Potential Additional Sources of PMP Funding includes Federal Funding – Stimulus Funding, State Funding – Prop 1B and Funding from VLP – November Ballot.

Mr. Kendroud explained the following Pavement Management Process in detail:

  • Biennial Pavement Distress Survey
  • MTC – PMS, Street Saver Software
  • Prioritizing the Neighborhood Areas
  • Five-Year Pavement Management Plan

Mr. Kendroud  informed the TAC that staff will incorporate the comments from the committee and update the Five-Year Pavement Management Plan in 2011.  He also stressed that staff will continue to seek state and federal funds for pavement management projects.

Jim McVay asked staff if they execute all work orders for  pothole repairs in the City.  Moustefa stated that the City oversees the all pavement repair projects and contractors and utility companies  are required to get encroachment permit before they do any work on City roadways.     

Jim McVay complimented Moustefa and commented that it was a very good presentation on Pavement Management.  He stated that it would be great idea to provide this presentation to the public once a year.  Moustefa stated that the presentation will be part of the Government 101 presentation. 

Lisa Bobadilla concurred that that Pavement Management presentation be provided to the TAC on an annual basis.   Moustefa noted that this presentation is also presented annually to the Finance committee and the City Council.  

5.2 Vehicle Registration Fee Ballot Measure

Lisa Bobadilla provided an update on the Vehicle Registration Fee Ballot Measure.  She reported that on July 21, 2010, the CCTA will consider a ballot language to include on the November ballot.  The fee would add $10.00 to annual vehicle registration and money generated would be used for local streets and roads, bicycle and pedestrian projects, and transit congestion relief projects. 

Lisa Bobadilla will provide the TAC members with the actual ballot language, present the projects and programs that were included in the expenditure plan and provide the TAC with a full update. 

6.         COMMITTEE MEMBER ITEMS

6.1.      Committee Member Items

None.

6.2       City Council Liaison Items

None

6.3       Planning Commission Liaison Items

None.

6.4       Teen Council Liaison

None.

7.         ADJOURNMENT

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:50 p.m.  The next regular meeting is scheduled for August 19, 2010.

 

 

We provide efficient delivery of quality public services that are essential to those who live and work in San Ramon.
2401 Crow Canyon Road, San Ramon, CA 94583 | Map | Phone (925) 973-2650 | Fax (925) 938-3231