Home City Council Departments Services Calendar Contact Us Search
San Ramon Valley Blvd and Bollinger Canyon Rd
Public Services Department

 

San Ramon LogoTransportation Advisory Committee

MINUTES

April 19, 2012

Community Conference Room
2401 Crow Canyon Road, San Ramon

1.         CALL TO ORDER

Committee Members Attending:      Peter Rathmann, Victoria Harris, and Harvey Riggs

Committee Members Absent:          Greg Schniegenberg and Steve Filson

Council Members Attending:           None

Planning Commission Liaison:           Jeanne Benedetti

Teen Council Liaison:                     Mischa Fritz and Miranda Shakes

Guests Attending:                        Mark Ballock         

Staff Members Attending:               Lisa Bobadilla, Amy Sekhon, PJ Dhoot, Maria Fierner, and Amy Amiri

The meeting was called to order by Chair Rathmann at 6:30 pm.   

2.         REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES

M/S/C/U (Riggs/Harris) to approve the March 15, 2012 meeting minutes as written (3-0).

3.          PUBLIC COMMENT

None.

4.          NEW BUSINESS

4.1       Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Fiscal Year 2012-2013 by: Amy Amiri

Amy Amiri, Senior Administrative Analyst, presented the item. She stated that the item is the draft Five-Year Capital Improvement Program (CIP) for Fiscal Year (FY) 2012/2013 through FY 2016/2017. Ms. Amiri stated that the projects for review and discussion include all circulation and signal categories. Ms. Amiri stated that comments from the TAC will be forwarded to the City Finance  Committee and City Council.

Ms. Amiri stated that the CIP is a comprehensive five-year plan that incorporates capital project priorities, project costs, methods of financing, and revenues. The City of San Ramon utilizes the CIP as a multi-year planning instrument to identify needed capital projects and coordinate the financing and timing of improvements.

The Capital Budget is the first year of the five-year CIP.  Ms. Amiri stated that the Capital Budget is incorporated in the City’s Annual Program of Services. Each year, the City Council adopts the Annual Program of Services including the Capital Budget and appropriates the necessary funds for these CIP projects. Projects scheduled for subsequent years in the CIP are approved on a planning basis and funds are not appropriated until the projects are included in a subsequent Capital Budget. Ms. Amiri stated that there are 48 projects proposed for the Capital Budget for FY 2012/2013 of which 18 are circulation projects and 3 that are signal projects.

Ms. Amiri stated that there are three proposed new projects for FY 2012/2013:

Circulation Projects:

  • Alcosta Boulevard Pavement Rehabilitation (Norris Canyon to Bollinger Canyon) – CIP 5554 is added to repair the roadway on Alcosta Boulevard and Norris Canyon Road to Bollinger Canyon Road during FY 2012/2013 for design and construction in FY 2013/2014.
  • Pavement Management 2017 – CIP 5553 is added as the annual pavement repair project.
  • Pavement Management Stop Gap 2017 – CIP 5555 is added as a separate annual project. This project provides for small pavement repairs in response to citizen inquiries.

Signal Projects:

  • No new projects proposed for FY 2012/2013.
    Ms. Amiri stated that there are no projects that are currently unfunded.

    Questions/Comments

Harvey Riggs inquired about the Alcosta Boulevard Pavement Rehabilitation. He asked if this was from the southern outlet from the San Ramon Regional Hospital where the grade is sloughing off on the southbound lane. Mr. Riggs asked when that project is going to start, Ms. Amiri stated that this is a project she mentioned earlier, and this year Engineering will start the preliminary evaluation and design from Norris Canyon Road and Bollinger Canyon Road.

Mr. Riggs asked if Stop Gap funds are going to be used for that area. Maria Fierner, Engineering Services Director, stated that staff has not decided yet.

Mr. Riggs asked why the Alcosta Boulevard’s northbound number one lane raises. Mrs. Fierner stated that she would have to research that.

Chair Rathmann asked if the project will move from preliminary evaluation and design this year. Mrs. Fierner stated that it depends on funding because this is not a typical repavement project. Mrs. Fierner stated that the hillside right by there is a part of the Geological Hazard Abatement District (GHAD). Mr. Rathmann asked if there was a pipeline running through there; Mrs. Fierner said that was correct.

Victoria Harris asked when would Stop Gap funds be used in Dougherty Valley to improve roadways there. Mrs. Fierner stated that some streets in Dougherty Valley are included in the Pavement Management program. Mrs. Fierner stated that deterioration has started in the Gale Ranch Phase I. Mrs. Fierner stated that staff is looking at the pavement index there and pavement measures will be taken in the future.

Ms. Harris asked if funds will increase due to volumes of requests. Mrs. Fierner stated that was possible.

Mr. Riggs thanked Engineering staff for their work.

Chair Rathmann moved on to the next item.

4.2       Transportation Advisory Committee (TAC) 2012 Workplan

Lisa Bobadilla, Transportation Division Manager, summarized the major action items of 2011.
Major Action Items 2011:

  • Seek and secure grand funding for San Ramon Valley Iron Horse Trail Overcrossing Project – Phase II. Ms. Bobadilla stated that was completed, and Contra Costa Transportation Authority (CCTA) has awarded the Transportation for Livable Communities (TLC) grant to the City of San Ramon. Ms. Bobadilla stated that staff will now work with Engineering who will now take the lead on the design of the Iron Horse Trail (IHT) overcrossing and work in concert with Sunset Development for the landscaping along the IHT.
  • In concert with CCTA and Caltrans, initiate Environmental Review for I-680 Transit Corridor Improvement Project Norris Canyon on/off Ramp HOV Project. Ms. Bobadilla stated that project is still underway, and that there will be an update on the project at the City Council meeting on April 24, 2012.
  • In concert with Economic Development, and Southwest Area Transportation (SWAT) develop and implement Transit Needs Assessment for San Ramon Valley/Southwest Area focusing on needs of retail, hotels, and restraints. Ms. Bobadilla stated that funding has been secured, and the study is to commence in FY 2013/2014.
  • In concert with Tri-Valley Transportation Council (TVTC), finalize Tri-Valley Transportation Joint Powers Agreement and circulate to member agencies for approval.
  • In concert with the Parks Department, develop Scope of Work to initiate San Ramon Bicycle/Trails Master Plan.
  • In concert with 511 CCTA, initiate Project Development Team for “Spontaneous Rideshare” Demonstration Project. Ms. Bobadilla stated that this is real-time ridesharing, which will be an informal ride-matching program.

Major Action Items 2012:

  • Provide feedback related to Capital Improvement Program (CIP) for FY 2012/2013.
  • Monitor implementation of San Ramon Valley Measure J Traffic Congestion Relief Agency (TRAFFIX) service to existing school sites (Pine Valley MS, Country Club ES, Neil Armstrong ES, and Walt Disney ES) and implementation of “demonstration” service to California High School.
  • Review, evaluate, and monitor annual results of Radar Speed Display Sign Program.
  • Provide feedback on annual Safe Routes to School Program observations and implementation.
  • Receive informational report and provide feedback related to circulation at three school sites (Coyote Creek ES, Hidden Hills ES, and Quail Run ES).
  • Receive update on Measure J I-680 Transit Corridor Improvement Project – Community Engagement Plan.
  • Review Street Smarts/Safe Routes to School Program Enhancements (funded through federal Safe Routes to School grant).
  • Provide input on Dougherty Valley Transit Shelter Program.
  • Receive update on Street Smarts “It Happens” Campaign at both Cal High and Dougherty Valley.
  • Provide input on Iron Horse Trail Bike/Pedestrian Overcrossing – Design and Engineering component.
  • Monitor and, when appropriate, provide feedback on parking issues.
  • Receive informational report on revised Dougherty Valley Village Center Parking and Circulation Plan.

Questions/Comments

Mr. Riggs asked if architecture and landscaping was included in the IHT overcrossing, Ms. Bobadilla stated that was correct.

Mr. Riggs and Chair Rathmann stated that the Norris Canyon meetings have been getting out of hand.

Commissioner Benedetti stated that a lot of things would needs to be looked at for an alternative to the I-680 Norris Canyon project.

Ms. Harris stated that the EIR would have to reflect what would go on with the Norris Canyon ramps. Ms. Bobadilla stated that all of that would be studied.

Chair Rathmann asked if there was a schedule associated with the Bike and Trails Master Plan. Ms. Bobadilla stated that she would try to get a date next month.

Mr. Riggs asked if the JPA would reflect transit. Ms. Bobadilla stated that there is a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the seven TVTC jurisdictions, and there is a priority project list. Traffic Mitigation Fees are collected and those fees are applied to the priority project list. Ms. Bobadilla stated that elected policy members could vote if there was a JPA. 

Ms. Harris asked if reviewing the Radar Speed Display Signs would be for funding for additional radar trailers. Ms. Bobadilla stated that it would be for before and after studies. Ms. Bobadilla stated that there are twelve Radar Speed Display Signs posted throughout the city, and no funding requests were submitted for more at this time.

Chair Rathmann moved on to Unfinished Business.

5.         UNFINISHED BUSINESS

5.1 Campton/Fioli Parking Status Update

She stated that in 2009 she received a petition from the Campton Homeowner’s Association (HOA) to issue a stop order from the Fioli community until  attention was given to the parking issue. Mrs. Dhoot stated that for two years city staff has been working with Pulte Homes and Contra Costa County staff to get some resolution. Mrs. Dhoot stated that now the city is the only agency involved, so city staff will take a staff report with three options to consider to the Policy Committee. 

The direction transportation staff has been given by the City Manager is to invite the homeowners that signed the petition as well as the Fioli HOA. One of the options is to give permit parking to the Campton homeowners, however enforcement of permit parking will be constrained. The General Plan (GP) also states that permit parking will not be extended to areas other than what is listed in the GP. The second option is to open up parking on Ivy Hill Way to allow for on-street parking, since there is enough roadway width for that on one side of the street, and a bike route on the other side. Engineering staff is looking at how many spaces would be open. The third option is to close a walkway that connects the Fioli community to the Campton community, so homeowners do not park on Ivy Hill Way.

Questions/Comments

Mr. Riggs stated that he does not recommend closing that walkway, that way people can get out of the community in case of emergency.

Ms. Bobadilla asked if the TAC would like to see the final staff report before they took this item to the Policy Committee. Ms. Bobadilla stated that this is the first time the Policy Committee will be hearing about this issue.

Ms. Harris asked if Chair Rathmann would like to see this item brought to the TAC again. Chair Rathmann stated that he would like to see this item brought to the TAC again.

Mr. Riggs stated that these residents do not have enough parking.

Chair Rathmann moved on to the next item.

5.2 TAC By Laws

Ms. Bobadilla provided the update. Ms. Bobadilla stated that City Council approved the Policy Committee’s recommendation. City Council approved adding another seat to the TAC, and having no alternates added to the TAC. Ms. Bobadilla stated that City Council would like the voting to be kept at a majority. Ms. Bobadilla stated that the Planning Commission will be interviewing for TAC expired seats and open seats.

Chair Rathmann moved on to the next item

5.3 Publi Transit Status Report

Mrs. Dhoot provided the update. Mrs. Dhoot stated that County Connection Route 622 is now stopping along Tahiti Drive.

Chair Rathmann asked if Mrs. Dhoot could contact County Connection to find out how many students are taking that bus route.

5.4 Active Residential Traffic Calming Streets Status Report

Browntail Drive: Mrs. Dhoot stated that she has been waiting for the Police Department to conduct additional selective enforcement, and observations. Mrs. Dhoot stated that she has not heard from the HOA since she reported her findings.

Chair Rathmann asked if the Police Department will look at other roadways near Browntail Drive. Mrs. Dhoot stated that she has notified the Police Department.

Harcourt Way: Mrs. Dhoot stated that 8-hour pedestrian counts were conducted, and were used for the Draft Warrant Criteria for the installation of pedestrian enhancement devices. The pedestrian counts have been conducted at Harcourt Way and Windermere Parkway, Harcourt Way and Tamburlaine Drive, as well as Harcourt Way and Stanforth Court. Mrs. Dhoot stated that Engineering staff will conduct a Sight Triangle Analysis along Harcourt Way at the intersections of Tamburlaine Drive and Stanforth Court.

Montevideo Drive: Staff received a CRM about a minor collision. A Cal High student was hit by an oncoming vehicle at the IHT crossing and was not wearing a helmet, but luckily the vehicle was not going too fast so the student sustained minor injuries. Residents were concerned about the incident, so staff went to take a look to see if stop signs were warranted at this location. Mrs. Dhoot stated that she conducted a Stop Sign Warrant Analysis, and it did not meet the criteria. Mrs. Dhoot stated that staff is looking at installing barricades, and additional bike signage recommending bicyclists to dismount then cross the street.

Questions/Comments
Mr. Riggs stated that he is not surprised that it did not meet stop sign warrant criteria.

Commissioner Benedetti asked if there was a stop sign there, and Mrs. Dhoot stated there are stop signs there.

Chair Rathmann stated that a sign to dismount would not coincide with the rest of the IHT, and might violate trail criteria.

Mr. Riggs stated that uses of the IHT will rest at the benches on both sides, and feels that they activate the signals. Mr. Riggs stated that it is hard to ask a bicyclist to dismount while on the IHT, but it would be harder to see them get hit by an oncoming vehicle.

Chair Rathmann stated that he has not had any issue about cars not stopping while at that intersection, he has seen bicycle accidents because bicyclists are hitting the bicycle barricades.

Mr. Riggs stated that the Police Department should conduct selective enforcement there.

Commissioner Benedetti stated that the stop sign should be near where it is painted on the roadway.

Chair Rathmann stated that the trail has a stop sign on every crossing, so bicyclists are waiting forever to cross the crosswalk due to oncoming cars.

Ms. Bobadilla asked Chair Rathmann asked if he makes eye contacts with motorists to cross, and Chair Rathmann stated that he does.

Chair Rathmann stated that it is not always safe for a bicyclist to cross a crosswalk even after the motorist stops because they might drive through. Chair Rathmann stated that the signage and practice at this intersection is in conflict.

Mrs. Dhoot stated that she would like to bring this item back next month, and look at the signage. She also stated that the microwave detection may be conflicting with the stop sign, so she would like to take a look at it.

Ms. Harris asked if there was any safe speed that cyclists can travel that will trigger the flashing lights so cars can stop.

Ms. Bobadilla stated that staff will look at double sided flashing beacons at that location.

Chair Rathmann stated that aerial lighting may be a good idea at that intersection.

Chair Rathmann moved on to Committee Member Items.

6.         COMMITTEE MEMBER ITEMS

6.1       Committee Member Items

None.

6.2       City Council Liaison Items

None.

6.3       Planning Commission Liaison Items

Commissioner Benedetti stated that the Planning Commission held a joint meeting with the Planning Commission (PC) and Chairs of each City committee. Commissioner Benedetti thanked Chair Rathmann for attending the meeting.

6.4       Teen Council Liaison

None.

7.         ADJOURNMENT

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:55 p.m.  The next Transportation Advisory Committee meeting is scheduled for May 17, 2012 at 6:30 p.m. in the Community Conference Room.

 

 

We provide efficient delivery of quality public services that are essential to those who live and work in San Ramon.
2401 Crow Canyon Road, San Ramon, CA 94583 | Map | Phone (925) 973-2650 | Fax (925) 938-3231